News

Graphite: Talga Group completes scoping study to expand Vittangi anode project

Talga Group has released the results of a positive scoping study for its Niska South, Niska North and Nunasvaara North graphite resources in Sweden, which it plans to integrate into its existing Vittangi project. This was a preliminary technical and economic scoping study to determine the viability of further development.… Read more

Graphite: India’s Tirupati Graphite lists on LSE

Established flake graphite producer Tirupati Graphite has seen its first week trading on the London Stock Exchange (LSE) following its launch on 14 December. The Tirupati Group has flake graphite operations in India and Madagascar and is looking to fund significant future expansion plans in both countries. Tirupati Group, which… Read more

Tungsten: Almonty progressing Sangdong project on multiple fronts

Throughout Q4 2020, Canada-headquartered tungsten miner Almonty Industries has announced several advancements in the development of the Sangdong tungsten project in South Korea, the most recent of which being the completion of construction of the mine’s Monty B portal. Earlier in December, Almonty announced execution of the Facility Agreement and… Read more

Nickel: Price continues unrelenting upward march

The LME 3-month nickel price reached US$17,650/t on 15 December, the highest since mid-October 2019. That means the price has risen by just shy of 60% since an early-COVID-19 nadir of US$11,000/t in mid-March. Notably, this strong increase in price comes despite the market existing in a substantial surplus in… Read more

Cobalt, Copper: China Molybdenum purchases Kisanfu project for US$550M

In mid-December 2020, Freeport-McMoRan (Freeport) completed the sale of its 95% stake in the Kisanfu copper-cobalt project in the Democratic Republic of Congo to China Molybdenum (CMOC) for US$550 million, four years after passing up on the asset for US$50M. Gécamines owns the remaining 5% stake in Kisanfu. Roskill View… Read more

Cobalt: Glencore and GEM extend cobalt deal to 2029

Swiss-based cobalt miner Glencore and Chinese battery material producer GEM have recently agreed to extend their cobalt strategic partnership for another five years to 2029, following a five-year supply deal signed in late 2019. According to the press release from both parties, Glencore will supply around 150kt of cobalt contained… Read more

Lithium: A right royalty rebate – easing pressure on WA spodumene producers

At the beginning of December, the Western Australian Government announced it will provide temporary assistance, effective from 1 December 2020, to three lithium producers in Western Australia in the form of a 50% rebate on spodumene concentrate sale royalties for up to 12 months. Production at Mt Cattlin (Galaxy Resources)… Read more

Nickel: Vale agrees to sale of Vale Nouvelle Calédonie

The lengthy saga of Vale’s sale of its Vale Nouvelle Calédonie (VNC) asset looks almost over as the company has agreed to sell the plant to Prony Resources, a consortium that brings together New Caledonian investors (which hold a 50% stake in the project) with Trafigura (25% stake) and other… Read more

Chromium: New ferrochrome conversion agreements in India

Ferro Alloys Corporation (FACOR), now part of Vedanta, has signed a conversion agreement with Tata Steel Mining to process chromium ores, allowing the company to ramp up its ferrochrome furnace output to capacity. Shortly after this announcement, Nava Bharat Ventures also entered into a conversion agreement with Tata Steel Mining… Read more

Graphite, magnesium compounds: Imerys closes acquisition of stake in Haznedar

Imerys has closed the acquisition of a majority stake of 60% in Haznedar Group, a Turkish-based, high-grade refractory monolithics and bricks manufacturer serving the iron, steel, cement, glass and petrochemical industries. This business generated US$64M in revenue (40% from exports) and US$17M in EBITDA in 2019. Roskill View Imerys is… Read more